Warung Bebas

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Table Tonic: My week in review

The September/October mag drop: Thankfully, three of these are on loan from my Mum - who I clearly inherited my mag-addict gene from...


(below) The October issue of Real Living (on sale Monday) comes with a bonus 32-page "before and after special"!


The lunch: Did you see the My New Roots blog yesterday? As part of "Meatless Monday", (Danish chef) Sarah shared the recipe for this incredible green olive and hazelnut tapenade on the Whole Living blog. With it, she made a beetroot, rocket sandwich (below)...


(below) ...and I turned it into a salad (leaves, potato, green beans, baked beetroot)! Admittedly, I left the tarragon (didn't have any) and capers (forgot) out of the tapenade. I also added half a clove of garlic and the zest of a lemon - I find it so hard to just juice a lemon and throw out the beautiful skin!


The Spring fair: Jasper's school Spring fair was held last Sunday and the kids were in heaven - up to their eyeballs in fairy floss, toffee apples, snow cones and (chocolate) showbags! It was really fun, and such a treat to tear Mr Tonic away from renovating duties for a whole day!


(below) I picked up these heart-shaped sunnies for 2 bucks at the showbag stall... (the lenses were red too - that was interesting!?!?). I felt a bit like Kirsten Dunst. Sort of.


The denim: Or, should I say, theeee denim. Yesterday's threads featured my Sportsgirl Abbie jeans, $99 (again). Perfect length (not too long) and cut. Can't wear them enough.


(above) Remo "stripey thing" top, Sportsgirl "Abbie" jeans, K Jacques sandals from Bloodorange, Vanessa Bruno tote from Netaporter, vintage belt.

The Smoothie: Still on yesterday, I seem to have nailed the green smoothie thing - Kale, Avocado, Banana, Coconut oil, Cinnamon, Macca Powder, Bee Pollen, Lemon, Rice Syrup - all organic. And after I took this photo, I added a dollop of Almond butter. Oh my giddy aunt it was good! PS When you guys freeze bananas for smoothies, do you peel them first? I think maybe I should have?!


The (other) Smoothie: With frozen berries. My Woolies has huge bags of mixed frozen berries (Nannas brand - the bag looks like this) for around $7.99. And PS I'm psyching up to buy a Vitamix blender, just quietly.... Have heard they're the bees knees. Heck, I've watched enough video demos to know - They are the bees knees!


The bargain health tip: Edamame Beans (they're technically a pea). Just $1.98 a bag from Tokyo Mart at Northbridge (Sydney). Did I buy six bags? Yes. Yes I did. And the kids practically inhale them. Love that.


The Tabouleh: Chopped continental parsley, tomato, cracked wheat (you boil it first), hummus, raw cashews, lemon zest, olive oil, lemon juice, celtic sea salt, cayenne pepper.


The stewed rhubarb: Add orange peel and apple for sweetness - and a flavour hit. Great on porridge/yoghurt! PS You may want to add some kind of sweetener as well.


Happy Thursday Tonic-ettes! (Only 4 sleeps til my birthday! Wheeeeeee!)

0 comments em “Table Tonic: My week in review”

Post a Comment

 

Table Tonic Copyright © 2012 Fast Loading -- Powered by Blogger